Thursday, December 21, 2006

Thursday 21st December

Volley ball beach
Stocking Island, Georgetown

23 31.212 N
75 45.437 W

Hopefully our last day of waiting. The winds are beginning to clock around in the direction we want them so we decided to make a run to town today and do the re provisioning and a load of laundry. We loaded up the dink, fully expecting a bit of a wet ride as the waves were 3feet high and we had to go about a mile across the harbour. We arrived slightly damp, unloaded our laundry into the machines, threw our rubbish in the dumpster and headed into the supermarket. We stocked up on the important things, and there wasn’t a piece of chocolate or a bottle of rum amongst it! Mind you there was some Darrell Lea licorice – in the Bahamas no less! When I thought we were just getting started on the shopping Gerry (Bah Humbug) said that it was too much to carry so don’t get anything else – I had to comply as he was doing the carrying. Anyway we had a plan – Gerry was taking the shopping and a container of water back to the boat whilst I checked on the laundry and loaded it into the driers, he would then come back with the empty dink to collect me and the clean laundry. When he returned he was a bit wet and he had changed his clothes, the story of the trip back to the boat then followed. On the way over to the town the waves were just on the beam and not too ferocious but on the way back to the boat they were slightly more on the beam, more ferocious and kept swamping the boat. Gerry and the shopping were drenched to the core and to top it off one of our oars managed to make its’ escape!! In fact Gerry said that he stopped about a third of the way back to pick up one oar which had come loose and was trying to get away and at the same time he checked the other oar to make sure it was still there, which it was. Unfortunately by the time he arrived back on the boat it had escaped – never to be seen again. Someone around this harbour must do a roaring trade in spare oars. He also seemed to be missing the plastic bag which he kept in his pocket with about $80 in cash. As we neared the dinghy dock and caught sight of our dink amongst all that were docked there we were shocked to see the plastic bag, intact, cash clearly visible, sitting on the seat of the dink where it had obviously fallen out of Gerry’s pocket. Considering how many people use the dinghy dock and the amount of people just hanging around the place we were amazed, it restored some of my faith in the human race (not much and not for long!) Anyway armed with the knowledge that the trip back to the boat was going to be wet going we loaded the shopping, protected by 2 plastic laundry bags and I donned a wet weather poncho that we keep in the dink for just such occasions. Gerry was already wet so he didn’t bother with his. We set off and within seconds we were being swamped by the waves and had to stop and bail out the dink. At times the waves hitting us were so hard and constant that we couldn’t see where we were going scary stuff!. Eventually we arrived back at our boat, unloaded, divested ourselves of wet clothing (I was reasonably dry, Gerry was soaked), dried off and then spent the rest of the day putting stuff away in preparation for an early departure tomorrow.



Post a Comment

<< Home